(from Pamphlet: “IRISH CITIZENS, WE MUST EMPOWER OURSELVES!”)
A solemn declaration on accepting nomination for election as a candidate of The Peoples Convention:-
On nomination as a candidate of The Peoples Convention I declare:
Sovereignty in Ireland rests with the people of Ireland, all authority derives from the people and all political, social and economic affairs must be directed according to the will of the people.
As a delegate to Dáil Éireann, I accept that the people are the rightful decision makers on all matters of state policy and that such right of decision making exists before, during and after elections.
- As a delegate to Dáil Éireann, I accept that the people are the rightful decision makers on all matters of state policy and that such right of decision making exists before, during and after elections.
- As a delegate to Dáil Éireann I accept the responsibility of bringing the principal points of all legislation before the Dáil back to the constituency for consideration and decision by the people.
- I accept that it is the right of the people to have their say on any proposed legislation, treaties or international agreements and that I will look for and accept the mandate on how to vote in relation to all matters. I regard that this solemn undertaking as a matter of conscience for me and though a particular mandate may on occasion not be in accordance with my personally held beliefs I consider discharging the people’s mandate as a binding undertaking which takes precedence.
- I accept the right of the electorate to recall me as an elected representative if they so decide and to consequently resign from the Dáil and any offices held.
- I undertake to support the re-introduction of the right of citizens to call both local constituency based and national binding referenda on any matter.
- I undertake to support the reduction of the age for voting to 16 years.
- I undertake to work to ensure the strengthening of The Peoples Convention throughout the country as the means by which the people may exercise their will in our democracy.
Signed and witnessed before a publically held meeting of the constituency selection convention on:-
Signed by Candidate,
witnessed by Chairperson of Selection Convention and dated.